Bali belly caused by consuming contaminated food or drink served in food places in Bali without considering its cleanliness.
One of the health problems that might occur to travelers who visit Bali is Bali belly. Bali belly is a name given to stomach and digestive problems that are often experienced by travelers when visiting Bali. Generally, Bali belly caused by consuming contaminated food or drinks, and is usually caused by escherichia coli, shigella s and salmonella bacteria.
Signs of Bali Belly
Bali Belly is closely related to the cleanliness of food because Bali belly caused by consuming contaminated food or drink. The symptoms of Bali belly usually begin to appear within 1-10 days. The symptoms include:
One thing for sure, Bali Belly sufferers will experience dehydration which is quite severe considering that they lose a lot of fluid. Due to lack of fluids, the body will feel weak. For that matter, they are advised to get adequate fluid intake. You can get IV therapy to your location to avoid dehydration due to Bali belly symptoms.
In addition, if you experience severe symptoms continuously, see a doctor immediately. If necessary, you can consult a doctor through Medi-Call application or book a doctor to your location at Medi-Call hotline +62 81210783387.
Bali Belly Caused by Consuming Contaminated Food
Bali Belly can be caused by consumption of contaminated food and water. Untreated water can carry pathogens such as germs, viruses or protozoa. Poor sanitation and lower hygiene standards in Bali can also cause these pathogens to appear in food or drink served in food places in Bali.
As a matter of fact, Southeast Asia is one of the worst offenders for diarrhea and food poisoning for travelers while traveling in Bali. Here are some tips for consuming food in Bali to avoid Bali belly disease:
- Select a popular area in Bali. These kinds of areas are more likely to provide fresh and hot food.
- Avoid foods that are already sitting at room temperature. The best is eating from areas that cook food in front of you.
- Avoid areas that are close to the road. You don’t want your food to be seasoned by traffic pollution.
- Be careful when consuming raw foods such as salads, raw vegetables or fruits that cannot be peeled. This is because they are often washed using local water – which can be difficult for unsuspecting travelers!
- Avoid raw or undercooked meat, fish, shellfish, and eggs.
In general, make sure you choose food carefully because Bali belly caused by consuming contaminated food. In addition, if you have a history of digestive problems or plan to travel to Bali with children, you can consult a doctor first to get supplements and vitamins to prevent the entry of bacteria in the body.