How to prevent dehydration from diarrhea can be done by having enough fluid intake in the body and consuming enough ORS liquid.
Diarrhea is an infectious disease that can easily make body lose more fluids. Therefore, someone with diarrhea is at risk for dehydration, including travelers who often visit Bali. Travelers often ignore the cleanliness of food or drink served in Bali which leads them to experience dehydration due to diarrhea. If this condition is not treated properly, dehydration can cause many other health problems. However, what is the right way how to prevent dehydration from diarrhea?
How to Prevent Dehydration from Diarrhea
One of the most common causes of dehydration is diarrhea. When diarrhea occurs for a long time, the sufferer can be at risk of losing a lot of fluids or dehydration. This should not be underestimated because dehydration can risk damaging the kidney organs.
For that matter, recognize ways how to prevent dehydration from diarrhea:
- Drinking enough water
The most common way how to prevent dehydration from diarrhea is by drinking enough water. The amount of water you have to drink depends on the condition of your body and how much fluid has been removed from the body. Normally consuming 2 liters of water per day or about 8 glasses for adults. However, it depends on the activities you do and the severity of the diarrhea.
- Consuming electrolyte fluids
Drinking enough water is not enough to prevent dehydration from diarrhea because water does not contain ions needed to maintain the balance of ions in the body. For this reason, it is recommended to consume electrolyte fluids that contain the essence of the rehydration process. You can choose drinks that contain ions needed by the body in order to return the ions of the body.
- Consuming ORS liquid
ORS can be used to treat and prevent dehydration due to diarrhea. It can also replace electrolytes lost from the body. ORS is packaged in the form of 4.1 grams of powder on each sachet and consumed by dissolving it in 200 ml of water. ORS liquid contains Glucose anhydrous, Sodium bicarbonate, Sodium chloride, and CaCl2. The dosage of ORS liquid is 50 ml per kg body weight every 4-6 hours for mild dehydration.
- Drinking coconut water
Coconut water is one of the ways how to prevent dehydration from diarrhea. It contains five natural electrolytes for the body such as, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and sodium. These electrolytes are very effective to replace body fluids lost during diarrhea.
Bear in mind the importance of drinking enough water every day. Remember, if the symptoms of dehydration are getting worse and the body gets weaker, immediately see a doctor.
If you experience mild or severe dehydration due to diarrhea, you can get IV therapy service to your location at Medi-Call by booking a doctor at Medi-Call Call Center +62 81210783387 or you can consult a doctor regarding dehydration through Medi-Call application on your mobile phone.
Complication of Dehydration
Dehydration that is not handled properly can cause serious complications in a body. Some complications that can arise due to dehydration includes:
- Seizures. Dehydration may occur due to impaired electrolyte balance in the body, especially sodium and potassium.
- Problems in the kidneys and urinary tract. This may happen especially if dehydration is experienced continuously. Dehydration can cause urinary tract infections, kidney stones, bladder stones, even kidney failure.
- Injury due to high temperature (heat injury). If you do heavy physical activity and do not maintain your body’s fluid intake, you have potential to experience dehydration which triggers heat injury. Symptoms of relatively mild heat injury can be cramps, severe fatigue and heat stroke.
- Hypovolemic shock. This is the most serious complication of dehydration because it has the potential to be life-threatening. Lack of fluids can cause the volume of blood in the body to decrease, so that blood pressure and oxygen levels decrease.
Dehydration is a problem of body condition that needs to be treated properly as it can cause severe complications. Immediately see a doctor if you experience serious complications of dehydration due to diarrhea so it won’t get worse.