How to treat Bali Belly in child can be done if your child is infected while staying in Bali, and it should be done with the right treatment so the healing process will be faster.
The island of Bali is a well-known tourist destination among many local and foreign travelers. However, most foreign tourists are vulnerable to get infected with certain diseases while traveling there, especially children and those with a low immune system. Diarrhea due to food poisoning is often experienced by travelers in Bali. This happens because foreigners are not used to the new environment, so their body usually reacts badly to the climate and food there. This illness is popular with the term Bali Belly. If your child is infected with this illness, travelers must learn how to treat Bali Belly in child. Find medical care to avoid having dehydration.
Generally, Bali Belly is a term for diarrhea, food poisoning, or other digestive system problems that happens while in Bali. Foreign tourists, especially children, can get affected with this illness anytime during a trip. This is because their bodies are still adapting to the new place, and their immune system is not able to prevent it yet. The main cause of Bali Belly is a change in diet and hygiene or sanitation factors. Moreover, other factors that may cause Bali Belly is consuming contaminated food or water.
Drinking from the tap water is usually the cause of most cases too, Indonesia is a developing country, therefore consuming from the tap water should be avoided. Contamination is usually occurred due to bacteria such as salmonella, escherichia coli, and shigella s. Because of the humid climate, poor hygiene standards, and inadequate sanitary facilities, these bacteria will develop faster in food. For example, food from street vendors has a higher possibility to cause Bali Belly. Having a lower immune system, children are more vulnerable to get affected. Therefore, if this happens parents must prepare and ensure that they know how to treat Bali Belly in child.
Bali Belly Symptoms in Children
Typically, symptoms of Bali Belly will appear 1-10 days after contaminated. Bali Belly is first characterized by symptoms such as fever, stomach cramps, then followed by vomiting, diarrhea, and feeling weak. The following are some symptoms of Bali Belly that may show in children:
- Stomach ache
- Abdominal pain
- Bloated stomach
- Diarrhea accompanied by blood
How to Treat Bali Belly in Child
If your child is already affected by Bali Belly, parents must know exactly how to treat Bali Belly in child. It is important to reduce the symptoms and prevent it from becoming worse. Basically, the main treatment on how to treat Bali Belly in child is to drink plenty of water or fluid. Diarrhea may cause lost fluids in the body, so rehydration is necessary. These are some ways on how to treat Bali Belly in child that can be done while traveling:
- Give the child lots of water/fluid to drink, children are prone to dehydration;
- Give the child coconut water, it has enough minerals to replace the lost fluids;
- Don’t give the child spicy food and dairy products, it will make Bali Belly worse;
- Give the child easily digested food in small portions, such as porridge, rice, bread, banana, and soup;
- Avoid giving over-the-counter medicine, it will delay the healing process;
- Get the child a fluid infusion / IV therapy, this will make the hydration process faster;
- Make sure the child gets enough rest;
- Make sure to always wash your child’s hands before eating and after going to the toilet;
- Always wash fruits and vegetables before eating them;
- Avoid consuming tap water, only give your child bottled water while traveling in Bali;
- Find medical attention and see a doctor.
If your child has symptoms of Bali Belly, immediately do the methods above on how to treat Bali Belly in child. Do not hesitate to book a doctor to treat your child at your location through Medi-Call application or simply contact Medi-Call Hotline at +62 81210783387. If your child experiences dehydration, getting fluid infusion / IV Therapy is highly recommended to replace the lost fluids and electrolytes so the healing process will be much faster.