Sudden peanut allergy adults is a reaction that occurs caused by consuming nuts or nuts-based foods. The reaction causes itching on the skin, sneezing, etc.
The most common type of allergy is allergic to certain foods, including peanuts. This makes peanuts as one of the most dangerous allergens (sources of allergies) which can be fatal and life threatening. For some people with peanut allergies, peanut consumption, even in very small amounts, has the potential to trigger serious reactions. This allergy is mostly experienced by children. However, sudden peanut allergy are also common, especially if you travel to Bali as there are a variety of peanut-containing foods in Bali.
Sudden peanut allergy causes the body that lead to excessive reactions and release chemicals (histamine) into the blood. Histamine then affects various tissues in the body, such as the skin, eyes, nose, airway, lungs, digestive tract, and blood vessels. The followings are the causes of sudden peanut allergy in adults:
- Direct contact
The most common cause of peanut allergy is eating nuts or foods that contain nuts. Sometimes direct skin contact with peanuts can also trigger allergic reactions.
- Cross contact
This is an accidental exposure to beans to a product. This usually occurs when food is exposed to nuts during the making of certain food.
Allergic reactions may occur when inhaling dust or aerosols containing peanuts, such as peanut flour or sprayed peanut oil. Protein in peanuts that is inhaled and enters your body can cause allergic reactions.
In addition, both direct or indirect contact with peanuts causes the body to release histamine and lead to sudden peanut allergy reactions.
Sudden peanut allergy can occur to anyone, both children and adults. Sudden peanut allergy adults will show an allergic reaction, even if they eat only a few nuts or foods that contain nuts. The reactions occur from mild to severe levels, even to death or known as anaphylaxis. The allergic reaction arises because the body secretes histamine compounds to fight foreign substances. Some common sudden peanut allergy adults reactions mostly:
- Skin: swelling, rashes, itching, and red spots on the skin
- Respiratory tract: sneezing, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing
- Digestive system: upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and stomach cramps
- Itching around the mouth and throat
- Itchy, watery, or swollen eyes
These reactions appear minutes to hours right after you consume nuts. The sudden peanut allergy adults reactions vary between individuals. Immediately consult a doctor through Medi-Call application if the symptoms appear right after you consume peanuts or food that contains nuts, whether the symptoms are mild or severe. You can book a doctor at Medi-Call by contact them right away at Medi-Call hotline +62 81210783387. Medi-Call provides a wide range of professional doctors to come to your location. The doctor will determine whether the child has an allergy to nuts or certain substances, so that allergy symptoms can be prevented.
How to overcome sudden peanut allergy adults?
Treatment for sudden peanut allergy adults aims to relieve symptoms that appear and prevent allergic reactions. The best step to prevent an allergic reaction from peanuts is to avoid peanuts and peanut-containing products. There are several things you can do to overcome sudden peanut allergy in adults:
- If you experience mild allergic reaction, immediately take an over the counter hypo-allergenic tablet, such as chlorpheniramine. This functions to relieve the symptoms. However, it causes drowsiness.
- Another treatment step for peanut allergy is immunotherapy. This treatment is carried out by a doctor by giving a small amount of allergen to the sufferer in order to form the body’s immunity against allergens. However, immunotherapy is not widely used because it risks causing anaphylactic reactions. If necessary, immunotherapy must be carried out under the supervision of an allergist.
Moreover, if you or your loved ones experience severe dizziness, shortness of breath, or even lose consciousness after consuming peanuts, immediately take it to the emergency room at the nearest hospital. These symptoms need to be watched for, because they can indicate anaphylactic shock which leads to death.